Individual Potato Gratins
Adapted from Martha Stewart Everyday Food
- Unsalted butter, softened
- 1 clove garlic
- 9 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 lbs. golden potatoes (preferably skinny ones or baby ones)
- 1/4 cup grated cheese (such as Asiago, Gruyere, or Parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously butter 9 muffin cups.
- Using a rasp, grate the garlic clove into the cream. Stir and let sit.
- Meanwhile, slice potatoes as thinly as possible, using a mandolin if you have one. Place two slices in each buttered muffin cup and season with salt. Continue until all the muffin cups are full of seasoned potato slices. Pour one tablespoon of the garlicky cream over each. Sprinkle a bit of cheese atop each as well.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and tender. Run a thin knife around each gratin. Place a large baking sheet over muffin pan and invert. If some of the tops of the cakes stick, gently release them from the muffin tin and replace them atop the gratins. Serve. Makes 9 gratins.