Ten things I learned about cannoli . . .
- Cannoli dough is very easy to make.
- Cannoli dough feels like play-doh and doesn't stick to your fingers.
- Cannoli dough is VERY VERY VERY hard to roll out.
- Cannoli dough needs LOTS of time to rest before it is cut otherwise it shrinks like wool in the dryer.
- Cannoli dough doesn't fry beautifully unless it is VERY VERY VERY thinly rolled. See points 3 and 4.
- Don't try frying cannoli without a thermometer.
- The more cannoli forms you have the faster you'll finish frying them BUT you may never use them again in which case they make great baby toys.
- The traditional cannoli filling is even better if you make your own ricotta cheese.
- The traditional cannoli filling is even better if you substitute mascarpone cheese for some of the ricotta. You should probably try making this yourself too but don't ask me how since I haven't ever done it.
- Homemade cannoli is divine!
Thanks for another great Daring Bakers Challenge. If you are interested in viewing photos, recipes, or rules about becoming a Daring Baker check out the Daring Kitchen.